Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sounds Sweet to me...

Response to ... What Words do you Love!

Sadly, when I first read this question the only words that immediately sprang to mind were different kinds of foods. I do love to eat:) So I had to dig deep to also find a non food related word for you.

I do have to start with sushi though, because it was my first thought:) but it is not my favorite!

Sushi
This is the only word that when it's uttered in my family sparks an immediate and very enthusiastic response. That response is usually people checking for the credit cards and searching for their keys.

I was the first sushi addict in my family, and like all addicts I spread my disease. I began taking family members one by one and introducing them to sushi. I started them young, my daughter because an addict when she was just six years old, my brothers at the ages of 11 and 15. My master plan was to create sushi monsters while they were still young so that they could keep me in sushi eating bliss in my old age. So far it hasn't worked out but I still have hope for the future. I do get free sushi on my birthday so there are encouraging signs. We all love sushi so much that we only eat sushi at all you can eat Sushi restaurants; there is no other way we could support our habit. If the sushi is planned in advance we all fast all day, once we arrive we drink only water so as not to get full on beverages, and then we order. Typically this means 2 to 3 large boats depending on how many of us there are, and that is just the first round. Now I know some of you are thinking, "Ewwww! that's raw fish!," that was my first reaction too. But I will tell you what I tell all my friends, you have to try sushi twice... you will love it the second time, I promise. Let's start a chant...Sushi! Sushi! Sushi!

Grace
Grace: the undeserved favor of God. What a beautiful word! The concept of Grace was difficult for me to grasp at first; I didn't have a frame of reference for it. I have never given anyone any kind of undeserved favor. Then I became a mom and I understood... the closest comparison I can give for it is the unconditional love you have for your children the minute they are born, they have done nothing to deserve your love and care but you give it freely anyway, it just pours out of you. That is how God loves us, plus a billion times more. The love we have for our children is special and beautiful but it can not bring salvation; but God's Grace, when accepted, brings salvation... Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me...


No comments:

Post a Comment